THE GOSPEL: GOD’S GLORY IN THE FACE OF CHRIST
2 Corinthians 4:1-18
Key Verse 4:6
1. Read verses 1-2. To what does “this ministry” refer and how did we receive it (1; 3:7-11)? What causes gospel workers to lose heart, and why does “this ministry” keep us from doing so (1-2)? How should we carry out this ministry?
2. Read v. 3-5. When the gospel is preached plainly, why do some people not receive it (3-4, Jn 3:19-20)? What does the light of the gospel display? What is the main point of gospel preaching (5)?
3. Read v. 6. How does God enlighten the hearts of those who believe (Gen 1:3; Jn 3:21)? In what way is God’s glory displayed in the face of Christ (Jn 1:14; 3:14-16; Ro 3:25; Php 2:6-11)? How does contemplating Christ’s glory bring transformation in us (3:18)?
4. Read v. 7-12. What metaphor did Paul use to describe the relationship between the gospel and gospel workers (7)? How do gospel workers live out this truth (8-9)? What does it mean “we always carry around in our body the death of Jesus” (10)? What are its consequences (11-12)?
5. Read v. 13-18. With what assurance can gospel workers continue to proclaim the gospel (13-14)? What is the ultimate result of gospel preaching (15)? With what hope can we not lose heart in spite of many hardships (16-18)?